The Regional Rural Development Standing Working Group (SWG) in South-Eastern Europe, within the EC project: “Fostering regional cooperation and balanced territorial development of Western Balkan countries in the process towards EU integration”, supported the organization of the regional manifestation “II. Circle of friendship – International cycling marathon through Drina-Sava & Drina-Tara region”, which was organized in the period of 3-5 June 2016 by the Cycling club “Sveti Nikolaj” from Brcko.
This regional event, which gathered regional tourism, with an accent on encouraging the economic development of the region and its rural population by promoting natural, cultural and traditional values of our region, as well as the tourism potential of the cross-border regions “Drina-Sava” and “Drina-Tara”, was focused on:
- Promoting tourism potentials of western Serbia and north-eastern Bosnia & Herzegovina territory;
- Promoting of EU assistance, support of the Standing Working Group for Regional rural development in South-East Europe (SWG RRD), the cross-border regions “Drina-Sava” and “Drina-Tara”, as well as members of the stakeholder groups;
- Contribute to economic development of the cross-border regions through the use of accommodation and local products in rural areas;
- Visiting and promoting natural beauty and famous sites of mentioned region;
- Introduction to the cultural and traditional values of all three nations;
- Connecting and achieving present and future cooperation with local communities, NGOs, cultural and artistic societies and sport clubs;
- Promote cycling as an alternative way of transportation and recreation;
- Media promotion of the aforementioned activities (through photos, videos, and media reporting for local and regional media).
The event was designed as a four-day cycling, tourist and recreational marathon, where 20 main participants passed through: Brčko – Ugljevik – Loznica – Sokolske planine – Ljubovija – Bratunac – Srebrenica – Bajina Bašta – National park Tara – Mokra Gora – Višegrad. During each day stage, additional participants joined the marathon, and in total around 100 participants attended the marathon. Beside the NGO “Sveti Nikolaj”, the following NGOs participated: PBD „Biciklo“ from Loznica, “Eco bike” from Krupanj, MBC „Azbukovica“ from Ljubovija, PSD „Stolac“ from Višegrad, BBK „Bratunac“ from Bratunac, as well as the municipalities Bratunac and Visegrad.